Cardinals get their happy ending

Shad Granger

Faith Juelsgaard, Staff/Reporter

After losing to Grundy Center in the semifinals game last year, the Cardinals took the grief from their loss and used it to win themselves Treynor’s second  girls basketball State Championship.

Two years ago, the girls made it to the state championship game with a record of 27 wins and zero losses, only to lose their first game of the season to 2A’s Unity Christian.

The girls suffered a heartbreaking loss then, but came back to win it all on March 2, 2019.

Senior Kayla Chapman made first team all tournament this season, along with Sudmann who was captain of the girls first team all tournament. Sudmann also with her career high of 34 points in the semifinal game against Central Decatur making her the class 2-A state record holder.

The Cardinals used swarming defense and fast efficient offense to finish off their second undefeated team in the state tournament.

Grundy Center was locked down on Sudmann the entire time making it harder for her to get open but Sudmann still managed to make her jumpers easily.

Sophomore Mandy Stogdill and junior Tori Castle often go unrecognized, but without their ball handling skills and added three’s the team couldn’t have done it without them.  

Sudmann with 17 points, Chapman with nine points, Sydnie Huisman added eight points to the scoreboard, senior Sydney Carman had four points, Stogdill added nine points to the score with her three’s, and junior Tori Castle adding one point with a free throw took the Cardinals to victory Saturday night.

A happy ending for the Cardinals ended with a championship, and lots smiles, for the whole community. A talented group of girls is going to hard to replace in the future.