Cardinals get back on winning path

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cardinals get back on winning path

Shad Granger

Shad Granger

Shad Granger

Jerry Jorgenson, Editor

On Friday, Jan. 25, the Treynor boys were able to get back to their winning ways, as they traveled to IKM-Manning to defeat the Wolves 56-46.

With junior Jon Schwarte back in the starting lineup, the Cardinals played with full strength for the first time in 3 weeks, which helped in keeping the team’s undefeated conference record alive.

Heading into the game, the boys knew they were playing no slouch in IKM-Manning, as the Wolves entered the contest with an 11-5 overall record and one of the toughest home venues to play at in the conference.

The Treynor men were led by junior Jack Stogdill, who finished with a team-high 19 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists. Stogdill entered the fourth quarter with just 8 points, but managed to score 11 of the team’s 23 total points in the closing quarter. Stogdill was able to finish 9-of-10 from the free throw line to help secure a big conference road win. “It felt good to finish out the game and seal the win for us,” Stogdill said.

Sophomore guard Tim Zimmerman played in his first-ever conference game as a member of Treynor after sitting out more than half of the season due to transfer rules. Zimmerman provided a spark off the bench, as he would finish with 6 points on 2-of-3 shooting from beyond the arc. “I felt way more comfortable than I did during my first game,” Zimmerman said, “It was really exciting going out there and helping my team in a fun win.”

After losing their first game of the season last weekend against Gretna, junior Luke Mieska is pleased with how the team has responded in the past week.

“I feel like we bounced back pretty well considering Gretna was our first taste of what it feels like to lose,” Mieska said, “Having Jon playing more definitely helped us, but overall, I think we knew what we needed to do and we got it done.”

Junior Jack Tiarks, the team’s leading scorer with 13.7 points per game, posted 10 points and 6 rebounds, and senior Jerry Jorgenson scored 9 points on 3-of-7 shooting from 3-point range to go with a team-high 6 assists.

The Cardinals improve to 14-1 overall and remain the only undefeated team in conference play. The Treynor men and women will be back in action on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at Logan-Magnolia.