Cardinals stomp the Spartans, but beat out by the Big Reds

Casey Black, Staff Reporter

On Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, the wrestling team had a home dual against the Missouri Valley Big Reds and the West Monona Spartans.  

It began at 5:30 p.m. starting with the dual of the Cardinals v. the Spartans.  The Cardinals won 51-30. The next dual was the Big Reds v. the Spartans, and the last dual was the Cardinals v. the Big Reds.  The Big Reds won 52-24.

During the dual against the Spartans, the Cardinals had five pins and a win by points.  The five pins were by senior Harley Carberry, junior Brock Fox, sophomores Dawson Goss and Jonas Keay, and the last pin was by freshman Caleb Illiff.  Sophomore Logan Young had the win by points.

Keay had a pin against the Spartans in weight class 113 with 35 seconds remaining in the first period.

The first part of the match I got taken down but then while I was on bottom I got a reversal and stuck him on his back,” Keay said.

During the dual against the Big Reds, the Cardinals had three pins.  These pins were by Carberry, junior Ian Dinsmore, and Goss.

Carberry had a pin against the Spartans in weight class 220 with 58 seconds left in the first period. He also had a pin against the Big Reds with 1:14 left in the second period.

“I knew the Mo Valley wrestler was going to be well coached so I was patient with my moves and ended up pinning him in the second period,” Carberry said, “We knew it was going to be two hard duals, but it was good to get some strong competition in as we get closer to sectionals.”  

As the Cardinals get closer to sectionals, they are getting better every match.  

The next chance to support the Treynor Cardinals is at their varsity tournament on Friday Jan. 11, 2019, at Thomas Jefferson.