Treynor wrestling falls to the Conestoga Cougars in Thursday night’s dual

Miranda Becker, Staff Reporter

On Thursday, Jan. 3, 2019, the Cardinal wrestling team traveled to Murray, Neb. to face the Conestoga Cougars.  The matchup began at 7:00 p.m., and while both teams wrestled skillfully, Conestoga beat Treynor 45-28.

“It was nerve wracking walking in to their gym, but it seemed like the whole team was excited to get back to competition,” junior Mitchell Lutz said.

There were several factors that may have contributed to their loss.  “We could have done better as a team tonight,” sophomore Evan Smith said, “We just got back from break and are still dealing with weight and injury problems.”

“I did lose tonight to a tough opponent, but I think I did well overall,” Smith said, “I need to be faster and work on my escapes.”  

Lutz also has improvements he needs to make.  “For Saturday I need to work on eating healthier and getting down to weight in a healthier fashion,” Lutz said.

Looking forward, the team realizes they have a long road ahead of them before they can reach all of their goals.  “The team had some good matches and some not so good matches,” sophomore Logan Young said, “We are a young team but are getting better.”

In the end, the sport is about so much more than pins and takedowns.  The boys create invaluable memories. “My favorite part of the season was either tonight because it was fun to be with the team or the Lenox tournament because I wrestled really good there,” said Young.

This Saturday, the Cardinals will travel to Tri-Center high school for a varsity tournament.  The meet will start at 10:00 a.m.