• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

Woodbine opener taken over by the Cardinals

Back to Article
Back to Article

sophomore Logan Young getting ready to pin wrestler from Woodbine

Maria Carolus

Maria Carolus

Maria Carolus

Maria Carolus, staff reporter

On Tuesday, Nov. 29, Treynor High School’s wrestling team traveled to Woodbine for their first meet of the season. They wrestled against Southwest Iowa beating them 48-30 then turned around and beat Woodbine 60-24.

“Compared to previous years I think this duel went pretty well,” junior Mitchell Lutz said, “In the past two years we had beaten Southwest Iowa by points, but we had tied Woodbine and beaten them by criteria.”

This year, the Treynor wrestling team has a full roster with extra in some weight classes with many returning wrestlers along with incoming freshmen.

This year was different due to our increase in numbers we were able to put in some work and ended the night with two duel wins by a sizable amount,” said Lutz.

Each member has their own goals that they work on to get to where they want to be.

“Individually, I had been watching my weight throughout the year and have been putting in work with Mr. Lovely in the weight room,” Lutz said, “As a team it is very helpful that a lot of our wrestlers are multisport athletes because a lot of the team was in good shape going into the season.”

All of the goals set help to better the team as a whole. They brought the outcome of their  previous seasons with them.

I felt anxious to get out on the competitive mat again and had a lot of energy,” sophomore Logan Young said, “I set my personal goals and work hard every day to achieve them, and as a team, we all get in the room and work hard to succeed.”

There were 8 wrestlers who won both of their matches in a variety of different weight classes.

“13-10 was the score of my first match,” said Young, “I lost but I battled back from a 4-11 start.” Young won from a fall in his second match.

Like Young, Lutz won with a fall in his second match,

I lost to a tough opponent, but in my second, I was able to come out with a pin,” said Lutz.

The wrestlers host their first tournament this coming Saturday, Dec. 2 at 10:00 a.m.