• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

Treynor students get accepted into the Kent Bellows Mentoring program

Back to Article
Back to Article

Faith Juelsgaard, Staff/Reporter

Juniors Clarissa Weitzel and Mya Egan and their talents have been part of the Kent Bellows Mentoring Program.  This is Weitzel’s third semester now, and Egan joined in the fall of 2018.

Kent Bellows was a famous hyper-realistic artist who was born and worked in Nebraska. Bellows died in 2005 and donated his studio to the Joslyn Art Museum. The program got started in 2005 through the Joslyn Art museum.

“I really enjoy the program because it allows me to be surrounded by creative people and to thrive in a creative environment,” said Weitzel.

There’s so many different things to do and choose from, according to Weitzel. Each program you want to get into consists of 3 to 4 mentees and 1 mentor. All of the mentors are professional artists in the Omaha area. They decided to start a program where teens in grades 9-12 could go after school to learn more about art.

“It provides us with studio space and artistic mentorship from professional artists who can teach us technical skills,”  Egan said.

At the end of each semester there’s a show and each artist can put three piece in the show. Weitzel has done the sculpture program twice and the book arts once, and Egan is currently doing the painting course.

“It’s really fun and a great opportunity for people who love art and creating things!” said Egan.

The girls are excited for the art show, and will continue to wow the community with their upcoming magnificent projects!