• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

The real MVPs

The mentors of THS

Amanda Stephens, Photo Editor/Reporter

Mentors in Violence Prevention, also known as MVP, is a program in which select upperclassman go into the classrooms of underclassman. These classes are separated by gender, and the mentors will teach the students real-life violence and bullying scenarios and how to respond to them.

To become a mentor, upperclassman have to go through official training because some scenarios are very sensitive and need to be taught in just the right way.  These scenarios include things such as cyber-bullying to domestic violence.

MVP was a program that was recently introduced to the high school just last year and did very well, the school board believes that MVP will be very beneficial in helping the bullying throughout the school.

“MVP is a better way to get points across to students, rather than having teachers teach about bullying it is now their peers,” counselor Rita Laughlin said,  “Students teaching to students is much more effective than to have a teacher lecturing to students, the students can relate and trust their peers more than they would their teachers”

The MVPs have only done one real lesson with their students so far, but this is because throughout the first quarter the mentors were working on building trust in the classroom through team building activities.  Trust is a very crucial element when teaching this program, the mentors want to gain the trust of their students so that they feel comfortable enough to talk about things that would usually be off limits or awkward to talk about with teachers.

Some of the team-building activities that mentors have put into the classroom include the human knot and naming all the states, two activities that were popular in many of the classrooms, especially the eighth grade classrooms where this is a brand new concept to them.

“Bringing MVP into the middle school is very beneficial but is also sometimes very trying on mentors as the maturity levels differ greatly, even between eighth grade and freshman,” said 8th grade mentor and junior Tyler Pollock.

While all the MVP groups are going through the same program, the freshman and sophomores are going through a more detailed version of the program as their maturity level is higher than the eighth graders.

MVP so far has done well in the school, while some students have said they are not a fan of it, they still enjoy it much more than the former bullying program, Olweus, where the teachers taught what some students call unrealistic scenarios.