• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

Fight for state border rivalry

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fight for state border rivalry

Thomas Duysen, Staff Reporter

The annual meeting between the Iowa Hawkeyes’ and Nebraska Cornhuskers’ football teams is upon the two states. On Friday, Nov. 23, the two teams square off for the 49th time. Some students at Treynor pride themselves with being diehard fans.

The Hawkeyes started out strong this year with five wins and one loss, and the team reached as high as 18th by the Associated Press.  The Hawkeyes then lost three straight games by a total of twelve points.

“I think our season started out very promising, but we then took a turn for the worst,” said junior Hawkeye fan Nathan McCombs.

The Cornhuskers have reawakened their season after starting out with six straight losses.  The team is being led by first-year coach Scott Frost who was popular among fans this offseason.  Frost has led the Cornhuskers to win the last four of their previous five games.

Morale has remained high among Husker fans even through trying times.

“Although a four and seven record doesn’t suggest a good team, I think Nebraska is one of the hottest teams in the country, and they are looking to end their season on a high noted with a win at Iowa,” said senior Husker fan Jerry Jorgenson.

Since joining the Big Ten Conference in 2011, Iowa leads the series winning four of the seven games. Decisions about the outcome of the game have been respectable between rival fans after two off-seasons for the squads.

Home field advantage hasn’t significantly affected the series, but the two fan bases both take pride in their gameday atmospheres.

“Even though Nebraska has made some strides, I think Iowa will still come out on top, because they will have a lot of hype going into the game,” said sophomore Blake Sadr, “The game is also at Kinnick Stadium.”

A drive that takes almost five hours for the Cornhuskers doesn’t seem to affect their fans decisions on the game.  The Huskers have won two of the past three meetings in Iowa City.

“I feel pretty confident for Nebraska, but Iowa always has something up their sleeves,” said senior Erik Andersen, “We will just have to just wait and see what happens.”

Both teams look to take the Heroes Trophy after a year of Hawkeye reign.  Nebraska has won 29 games, Iowa has won 16 games, and the teams have tied three games in all previous matchups.