• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

Share the warmth during the Junior Optimist clothing drive

Miranda Becker, Staff Reporter

The Treynor Junior Optimists will be kicking off their winter clothing drive on Nov. 26 and will end it on Dec. 7 when they donate the clothes to the Open Door Mission.

Except for last year, this clothing drive has been very profitable, according to Alora Nowlin, JOI President.  This year the Optimists are hoping clothing donations return to normal levels.

“I would say our goal is to probably collect around 100-150 items,” said senior Alora Nowlin.

Last year the clothing drive did not receive many donations at all.  “I believe we had only one coat donated.  I think the main reason it failed was because of a lack of promoting,” said Nowlin.

Members of the club believe that anything donated will be very appreciated.  “I think coats are a really good option, but things like gloves, hats, and socks are very important. Coats are usually the most commonly donated, and even if you don’t have gloves to offer or a winter coat, even an old sweatshirt is greatly appreciated,” said senior Alex Lowe.  

With approximately 250 students enrolled in the high school and an average of another 200 students attending the middle school, the students at Treynor could have a real impact on their local communities if everyone participated, Lowe explained.

I would like to see each grade really participate.  If everyone brought even one item I would be ecstatic,said Lowe.

To encourage more donations, the club has created some incentives for students.  The basis is a competition between card prides in both middle school and high school.

“In the high school, the winning class will receive a free day in strength and in the middle school they will get a popcorn party,” said Nowlin.  

Make sure to bring your old jackets, gloves, hats, and warm clothes and donate to this awesome cause between Nov. 26 and Dec. 7!