• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

Treynor Spanish classes undergo changes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Treynor Spanish classes undergo changes

Spanish students hard at work on their online program

Jerry Jorgenson

Jerry Jorgenson

Jerry Jorgenson

Jerry Jorgenson, Editor

Following Ms. Bernardez’s return to Spain, Treynor students are now taking Spanish online with the absence of a licensed Spanish teacher.

According to sophomore Carter Radcliff, who is currently taking Spanish II, students initially had mixed feelings about the transition they would be making. Many were confused and worried on how it would be run, while others believed everything would be okay.

“I think most of us have never taken an online class before,” said Radcliff, “but after they came in and told us how it would work, I don’t think it’s that bad.”

In addition to the class becoming more independent and self-motivated, Radcliff said the transition has been smoother than he thought it would be.

“I didn’t think the online course would have been as easy and straightforward to follow as it is, but at the same time, you still must give a legitimate effort to do well,” said Radcliff.

Although their original Spanish teacher is gone, the students have been assisted by Ms. Schuler, who is the designated Spanish I coach. Schuler is here on Mondays, Wednesdays, and every other Friday. The designated Spanish II coach is Mr. McMartin, who is here on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The transition to online learning can sometimes be overwhelming, but with the assistance of student coaches, students are transitioning well.

“As a student coach, I help students keep track of their homework and due dates,” Schuler said, “I give reminders at the beginning of class, then students have time to work on the program.”

Despite a bumpy transition to online learning, Schuler said the students are doing very well, and they are all getting well-acquainted with the classes and the program.