• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

Student Journalists Learn Sales Skills

Erik Andersen, Staff reporter

The Treynor Journalism class is selling ads for yearbook and Cardinal Chatter, so they can improve the website and lower the prices of the yearbook in the future. People will see these ads in the yearbook and the new Treynor Cardinal Chatter Page.

Each person in the journalism class was assigned a business, and some people were given more than one. Once each student had at least one ad, it was their responsibility to reach out to the business on their ad and help try to secure a deal for the yearbook.

This is a good learning tool as well.

“Having students approach businesses to sell ads gives them ownership of the yearbook and Card Chatter as we have more funds to use to develop our website and yearbook in ways the students think would better them,” English teacher Erin Coughlin said.

Coughlin said students learned a lot about marketing skills, communications skills, and in general, seemed to enjoy the process.

“I liked reaching out to the businesses because it helps with our salesman skills,” said senior Casey Black.

Students can also gain experience talking to business owners and adults that will build their confidence for face-to-face communication such as interviewing in the future Coughlin explained.

“I like selling the ads because it made me gain more confidence and belief into what I was selling to help myself make a sale to the buyer,” said senior Shad Granger.

This project helped the students, the yearbook buyers, and the ad buyers because they have raised more money than they initially predicted.

“We exceeded our goals so far, and I’m pleased that both our new Cardinal Chatter website is better than ever, and we should be able to drive yearbook prices down in the high school for the 2019-2020 school year,” said Coughlin.

Selling the ads gave the journalism class enough money to add onto the yearbook and create a new website for all news around the school. The buyers will get recognition in the book as well which could increase popularity for their businesses.

The students did a lot of the work, but before they took over, this idea had to go through administration.

“This process was one that had to get approved by the principal, superintendent, and school board and everyone involved understands the real-life skills this is teaching journalism students, and ultimately it is benefiting not just the students in the class but everyone as our yearbook and website are better than ever,” Coughlin said.