• November 30Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

• October 9Winter Clothing Drive now through December 7 - Bring warm winter gear for the Open Door Mission!

Cardinals Seek Another Deep Run This Season

Jerry Jorgenson, Editor

Following another successful basketball season in 2017-2018 in which they finished with a 23-2 overall record, a Western Iowa Conference championship, and a second straight appearance in the 2018 Iowa Iowa Girls’ State High School Basketball Tournament, the Cardinals have high expectations heading into the new season.

Second-year head coach Joe Chapman knows what it will take for success to appear throughout the Cardinals’ season.

“My expectations are very simple,” Chapman said, “Give an all-out effort in every rep regardless if it is a practice or game. If a player commits to that, the results will take care of itself.”

Coach Chapman added that he is most excited about seeing this year’s seniors lead the younger players and show them what it takes to fight on every possession.

Senior Konnor Sudmann has very clear expectations for the upcoming season, stating that winning the Western Iowa Conference title and making another state tournament appearance is among the top of the team’s goals. After losing one senior from last year’s roster, Sudmann noted that much of their team will be similar to that of last season.

“The roles will remain the same, but some of the first people off the bench from last season are going to have to take a bigger role in scoring,” Sudmann said.

Senior Kayla Chapman’s goals are identical with those of Sudmann, as winning the conference title for the third consecutive season and making a third consecutive state tournament appearance are the most prominent goals for this year’s team. Chapman knows they have some things that need sharpened in order to experience the success they hope to enjoy throughout the season.

“From last season, we hope to improve our defense, because Chappy always says defense wins games.” said Chapman.

The four-year starter added that they hope to balance the scoring, so shooting percentages will need to be improved.

The Cardinals will open their season at home against Harlan on Monday, Nov. 26.