One Down, Three to Go

The End of Quarter One

Senior Alek Thielen

Senior Alek Thielen

Amanda Stephens

Amanda Stephens

Senior Alek Thielen

Amanda Stephens, Staff Reporter

The end of the first quarter of the 2018-2019 school year was on Oct. 26.  Treynor High School has seen some big changes with this quarter.

This beginning of the school year brought some good news to Treynor High School.  The school gained six new teachers along with the passing of the bond issue. With the high school gaining around 70 more students this year, the school is getting too small and needs to grow.  

The passing of the bond issue means things such as a bigger auditorium and more classrooms for the high school.  With the new things happening in the district, the freshman are trying to accommodate to their new surroundings as well.  

Several of the THS freshman including Karsten Huston have said their homework is beginning to build up and is adding on some stress.  

This quarter has brought good and bad things, freshman Will Thompson said, “With many new teachers, it’s hard because they are trying to settle into their places and do not know how to handle the students yet.”  

The THS seniors’ opinions differ from the freshman.  Senior Alek Thielen said, “It’s senior year, I’m pretty pumped to get out of here, I have easy classes, it’s been breezing by.”  

While some seniors are excited others are feeling pretty sad  about the first quarter ending such as senior Alex Lowe expressed her sadness about her last marching band season ending, but she is still excited to be one quarter closer to graduation.  

Throughout the quarter, the THS band placed second at the Clarinda Band Jamboree, first in class 2A at the Glenwood Field Fest, and received a division one rating at the state contest.  The school’s volleyball team has also had a successful season as they won the WIC tournament and have made it to the state playoffs and will play in Cedar Rapids. The football team has won all but one game against St. Albert and made it to the playoffs for the very first time since 2013. The cross country team has also had a good season as the team sent four people to the state meet.

The first quarter has treated everyone differently, but overall THS seems to be off to a good start.