• November 30Stockings for Heroes Both Big and Small ends Dec 18! Bring your gifts to the HS Office!

• October 9Stockings for Heroes Both Big and Small ends Dec 18! Bring your gifts to the HS Office!

Staying Healthy Should Be Top Priority for Students

Senior+Thomas+Duysen+washing+his+hands+in+an+attempt+to+combat+the+germs+on+his+hands.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Thomas Duysen washing his hands in an attempt to combat the germs on his hands.

Jerry Jorgenson

Jerry Jorgenson

Jerry Jorgenson

Jerry Jorgenson, Editor

Americans average three to four colds a year, and teenagers at Treynor High are no different. Although there is not a set cure for the common cold, researchers have more than enough information to help avoid obtaining a cold.

Coughing and sneezing are still the top two ways of spreading a cold, as this makes it easier for other people to breathe in the germs you’re letting out. To prevent a cold, WebMD suggests to keep your fingers out of your eyes and nose.

Washing your hands is very important. More importantly, everyone needs to wash their hands correctly. The correct way to wash your hands, according to the Mayo Clinic, is to: wet your hands with running water, apply soap, lather well, rub your hands, palm to palm, vigorously for at least 20 seconds, rinse well, and finally, dry your hands off with a clean towel.

Mayo Clinic says to skip the antibacterial soaps, as they can lead to the development of bacteria that are resistant to the product’s antimicrobial agents, which makes it harder to kill these germs in the future.

Nurse Cory Young on what a student’s course of action should be when obtaining a cold: “The best thing to do when you have a cold is to get plenty of rest. Also drinking plenty of fluids with that. If you do need to sneeze or cough or anything like that, make sure you’re covering your cough in the bend of your arm.”

To stay healthy during this time of year, Young said, “The best thing you can do is make sure you are washing your hands often, and keeping yourself healthy as far as getting enough rest.”

“It’s no fun to have to blow your nose or walk around with a head full of thick gunk. If this sounds like you, fluids are your friend. They’ll help unclog your nose and thin any mucus so you can cough or blow it out,” said University of Michigan Medicine and Pediatrics professor Jean Carstensen.

Many people take washing their hands for granted, and this could be a very big reason as to why the common cold spreads so often throughout schools. “Washing your hands is huge, and I do feel like a lot of people don’t wash their hands as much as they should.” Mrs. Young added that just thinking about all the surfaces you touch throughout the day should be convincing enough for people to remember to wash their hands.