The Student Mindset On Summer Vacation

Shad Granger, Staff

The american idea of lazy summers filled with fun has an unintended consequence. If students are not engaged in learning over the summer, they lose skills in math and reading. Summers off are one of the most important, yet least acknowledged, causes of underachievement in our schools.

Summers are seen as the finish line for most students in the Treynor community and in every high school around the country. There is a high school study going around scaring schools into thinking that in order to maintain a higher education, they must extend the school year. Treynor students gave their opinion on what they thought of that idea.

“If the school year had to be extended I wouldn’t be able to handle it, I don’t think summer is a bad thing, sure we lose things and forget things, but it gives our brains a break from all of the worries we have in school” said sophomore Jaiden Maguire.

the average summer learning loss in math and reading for American students amounts to one month per year. More troubling is that it affects low income students. They lose two months of reading skills.

While their higher income peers whose parents can send them to camps, take them on vacations and surround them with books during the summer make slight gains. “It doesn’t make any sense to cut summer short now because that would make people go crazy and not even feel motivated to do anything when they could be enjoying their summer break. Extending the school year would make things worse for everybody” said Junior Nathan Nelson.

Students at Treynor High School gave their opinion about their thoughts on the effects of summer vacation of their minds and most had to agree and say that without a fair break from school it would make it more difficult for them in the long run.