Cardinals set for busy week at state track

Jerry Jorgenson, Editor

The Treynor girls’ and boys’ track teams will certainly be busy this week from Thursday through Saturday with a combined 20 events between the two teams qualified for the 2019 Iowa State Track & Field meet at Drake Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa.

With the state qualifying meet being located in Ida Grove at OA-BCIG high school on Friday, May 10, the student-athletes all had a long night.

The Treynor girls’ won the district team title, while the boys’ team fell to a talented South Central Calhoun team, losing 133-131, to finish as the district runner-up.

With 7 events qualified for the state track meet, seniors Noel James and Megan Carley will be very busy with some personal goals and team goals.

Carley, the team points leader, hopes to run a personal-best in the 200m dash and hopes the team can take home the 4×400 title on top of breaking the school record in the event. Carley is as experienced as they come at performing at the state track meet and will definitely be able to use her experience to her advantage.

“Running at state track all four years will have helped me this year because I will know what to expect,” Carley said, “We came so close to winning the 4×400 last year so it makes us really want to win it this year.”

Noel James, a qualifier in the 4×100, 4×200, 4×400, and the distance medley, is also excited for her last-ever state track meet.

“I think I am looking forward to the 4×200 the most,” James said, “It’s an event Coach Hartigan wasn’t expecting to put together for districts, but we are seeded second right now going in, so it should be a really fun race, and I also really enjoy running the 200s.”

James, a four-year state qualifier in track & field, added that although she is sad that it will be her last-ever state track meet, she is thankful for all the opportunities she has had racing on the blue oval with the atmosphere at Drake Stadium.

The boys’ track team, on the other hand, managed to qualify 13 events for the state meet and will be taking 13 boys up to enjoy the experience.

Underclassmen have served as major contributors to this year’s track team, including sophomore standout Sid Schaaf, who will be racing in the sprint medley, 400-meter dash, 400-meter hurdles, and the shuttle hurdle relay, is excited for his second state meet of his career.

“It feels good to qualify for the state meet again, and I’m very excited while also being nervous,” Schaaf said, “But I’m ready to go out and do the best I can to represent Treynor.”

Schaaf, a very talented 400-meter runner, ran the 400-meter hurdles for the first time in his career on Friday in Ida Grove, and managed to qualify for the state track meet in the event.

“Before the 400-meter hurdles, I was very nervous because I hadn’t run them yet this year and had no idea what to expect with it,” Schaaf said, “I was very surprised to see that I qualified the next day because I wasn’t expecting to at all.”

Junior Jake Fisher, one of the team’s top performers this season, will have a busy stay in Des Moines, as he managed to qualify in the 110-meter high hurdles, sprint medley, shuttle hurdle, and the 4×200. After being apart of state as an individual in past years, Fisher will certainly be able to use his experience to his advantage and plans to accomplish quite a bit Thursday through Saturday.

“I expect a lot more this year from both our team and as an individual,” Fisher said, “Last year, we were relatively young and we made a few mistakes. This year, hopefully we can learn from those and place very high as a team.”

He added that he hopes to place highly in the shuttle hurdle and 110-meter high hurdles while also performing well in the 800-meter sprint medley relay.

Junior Jack Tiarks and senior Jerry Jorgenson will also be busy at state. Tiarks, one of the best 2A high jumpers in the state, will be competing in the shuttle hurdle relay and high jump, while Jorgenson, a two-time state medalist at the state track meet, will race in the 3200m, 1600m, and 800m races.

The 2019 Iowa State Track meet is set to begin on Thursday, May 17 and end on Saturday, May 19 in Des Moines, Iowa at Drake Stadium.