Cards sweep Western Iowa Conference track meet titles

Thomas Duysen, Staff Reporter

On Tuesday, April 30, the boys’ and girls’ track teams won both team titles at the Western Iowa Conference track meet at Riverside. The boys scored 185 points, and the girls scored 130 points.

Senior Jerry Jorgenson led the boys, winning all four events he ran in. He won the 800, 1,600, and 3,200 meter runs respectively. He was also a part of the winning distance medley relay.

“My goal coming into tonight was to get four golds and give my team the best shot at the team title,” Jorgenson said.

Junior Kristian Martens won his first ever WIC title in the shot put. He threw a personal best of 49’2. Junior Brock Fox also threw a personal best of 47’5 to take third place. Junior Ben Boese and Fox took sixth and seventh place in the discus.

“My first two throws were both 45 feet,” Martens said, “My third throw felt perfect coming off of my hand, and I immediately knew it was a good one.”

Junior Jack Tiarks and sophomore Noah James took first and second place in the high jump. Both jumpers crossed the six foot threshold. Tiarks reached 6’2, and James jumped 6’0.

“My goal was to come get the conference title after not doing what I wanted to at Drake,” Tiarks said.

The boys’ and girls’ teams will see action again on Thursday, May 9, at OABCIG for their district meets. The state meet will be the following week on May 16, 17, and 18.